Piper October 2015… I hesitated sharing this story on here (though if you follow me on Instagram, you’ve might have already read about it), because it certainly wasn’t our proudest moment as doggy parents, but I’m hopeful our lesson (really, a scare) will be your warning.

A few weekends ago – the day we installed our kitchen backsplash to be exact – Jeff was in our basement collecting the tools he needed for the day. Since we live in an old home, we’ve occasionally had mice, which we’ve used traps with poison to catch them. We thought we had properly disposed of the unused traps awhile ago, but unfortunately there was a packet of the poison we missed that unknowingly came out from behind our washer when Jeff pulled out another item he needed. He went upstairs to start working, but Piper – who had followed him to the basement – found the poison and proceeded to not only chew open the packet, but ingest a portion of it.

We think it was approximately twenty minutes later when Jeff found the chewed packet lying on our stairs. He quickly ran upstairs to tell me what he thought happened and we immediately called the vet’s office. They advised us to not only bring her in soon as possible, but to also call the ASPCA on our way to initiate a case file.

As we learned, the ASPCA keeps a database of the different types of poison, their effects and how best to treat an animal once they’ve ingested the poison. By starting a case file with them, they were then able to speak directly with our vet and consult them on how to treat Piper’s specific situation.

Since we’d acted quickly to get her to the vet, and only a short amount of time had passed since we’d found the open packet, the vet was able to induce vomiting (TMI?) to help our poor little babe get rid of the poison. That was honestly the hardest thing to watch. Talk about feeling like you’re the worst parent!

Thankfully, she was able to get it all out, but given the color of her vomit (I know, I know TMI) it confirmed she had ingested poison and it was critical we got her to the vet so quickly.

The vet was fairly confident she would be fine, but said she needed take Vitamin K for thirty days. The poison is an anticoagulant and Vitamin K helps to counteract that, and allows her blood to clot.

We’re truly thankful we noticed it so quickly, because we learned that if we hadn’t, it’s likely Piper wouldn’t have exhibited any symptoms for three to five days, and by then it would be much harder to treat. The type of poison she ate, which might kill a mouse instantly, would take many days to affect a dog of Piper’s size. The vet was kind enough to notice she’s a “bigger gal” – way to kick her while she’s down. 😉 I kid, she’s not embarrassed by her size.

Our little lady felt kind of crummy the rest of the day, simply from having to vomit 🙁 , but after that she was back to normal! She’s still on Vitamin K, but other than that she’s her same old sweet, cuddly, outgoing self.

It was certainly a scary and expensive lesson we weren’t expecting to learn, but it’s made us more cautious of all the toxins a dog can easily get into around the house. So if I can provide any word of caution – be sure to check your house thoroughly, especially if you at one time had mouse traps like ours. Although, Piper is out of the puppy stage, she’s still an inquisitive dog and when she saw the poison packet – something she’s never seen before – she was more than happy to go for it.

We’re so grateful she’s okay, but we’re also fully aware the situation could have had a much different outcome!

If you find yourself in the same situation, remember to act quickly and call your vet immediately.

0 comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *