piper

The Blizzard of 2016…

| Living life...

… let me tell you, it was a day (and a half). Blizzard 2016 1These photos (↑) we’re taken approximately (it’s not an exact science!) 24-hours apart – four hours and 28-hours into the blizzard! Lucky for you, I documented the hours in between, because what else was I going to do?!

However, before the storm even started, the grocery stores were the emptiest I’ve ever seen them. How insane is that ↓??Blizzard 2016 10I was sure to get the essentials – aka, wine. 🙂
Blizzard 2016 7Blizzard 2016 6First off, Pearl and this storm were not friends. While she’s generally not a fan of the snow, it turns out that when it’s more than double her size, she’s really not excited about it. Can’t say I blame her. Blizzard 2016 11When I woke up yesterday – albeit, a little later than the average adult – we had sixteen inches of snow and counting. Surprisingly, that wasn’t enough to discourage Piper from hanging out outside.  Blizzard 2016 5And as the day went on, it wasn’t even enough to discourage Jeff and me from getting out to “enjoy” the weather.Blizzard 2016 2 New District Brewing 1As luck would have it, a new brewery opened up walking distance from our house and when they said they were open, we thought “why not?”. The walk there wasn’t “too” bad, but while we were enjoying a beer (or two), the winds started to pick up …Blizzard 2016 8 Blizzard 2016 4 Blizzard 2016 3 Blizzard 2016 12… making for a somewhat treacherous walk home. Lets be be honest, I managed to take several photos, so it couldn’t have been that bad. 🙂 Blizzard 2016 9 Blizzard 2016 13

But when we got home we decided to stay put for the rest of the evening, where it continued to snow, and snow and snow. It’s certainly pretty, but can’t say I’m looking forward to all the digging out that’s in our future!

0 comment

A lesson for dog owners…

| Raising pups...

Piper October 2015… I hesitated sharing this story on here (though if you follow me on Instagram, you’ve might have already read about it), because it certainly wasn’t our proudest moment as doggy parents, but I’m hopeful our lesson (really, a scare) will be your warning.

A few weekends ago – the day we installed our kitchen backsplash to be exact – Jeff was in our basement collecting the tools he needed for the day. Since we live in an old home, we’ve occasionally had mice, which we’ve used traps with poison to catch them. We thought we had properly disposed of the unused traps awhile ago, but unfortunately there was a packet of the poison we missed that unknowingly came out from behind our washer when Jeff pulled out another item he needed. He went upstairs to start working, but Piper – who had followed him to the basement – found the poison and proceeded to not only chew open the packet, but ingest a portion of it.

We think it was approximately twenty minutes later when Jeff found the chewed packet lying on our stairs. He quickly ran upstairs to tell me what he thought happened and we immediately called the vet’s office. They advised us to not only bring her in soon as possible, but to also call the ASPCA on our way to initiate a case file.

As we learned, the ASPCA keeps a database of the different types of poison, their effects and how best to treat an animal once they’ve ingested the poison. By starting a case file with them, they were then able to speak directly with our vet and consult them on how to treat Piper’s specific situation.

Since we’d acted quickly to get her to the vet, and only a short amount of time had passed since we’d found the open packet, the vet was able to induce vomiting (TMI?) to help our poor little babe get rid of the poison. That was honestly the hardest thing to watch. Talk about feeling like you’re the worst parent!

Thankfully, she was able to get it all out, but given the color of her vomit (I know, I know TMI) it confirmed she had ingested poison and it was critical we got her to the vet so quickly.

The vet was fairly confident she would be fine, but said she needed take Vitamin K for thirty days. The poison is an anticoagulant and Vitamin K helps to counteract that, and allows her blood to clot.

We’re truly thankful we noticed it so quickly, because we learned that if we hadn’t, it’s likely Piper wouldn’t have exhibited any symptoms for three to five days, and by then it would be much harder to treat. The type of poison she ate, which might kill a mouse instantly, would take many days to affect a dog of Piper’s size. The vet was kind enough to notice she’s a “bigger gal” – way to kick her while she’s down. 😉 I kid, she’s not embarrassed by her size.

Our little lady felt kind of crummy the rest of the day, simply from having to vomit 🙁 , but after that she was back to normal! She’s still on Vitamin K, but other than that she’s her same old sweet, cuddly, outgoing self.

It was certainly a scary and expensive lesson we weren’t expecting to learn, but it’s made us more cautious of all the toxins a dog can easily get into around the house. So if I can provide any word of caution – be sure to check your house thoroughly, especially if you at one time had mouse traps like ours. Although, Piper is out of the puppy stage, she’s still an inquisitive dog and when she saw the poison packet – something she’s never seen before – she was more than happy to go for it.

We’re so grateful she’s okay, but we’re also fully aware the situation could have had a much different outcome!

If you find yourself in the same situation, remember to act quickly and call your vet immediately.

0 comment

A pupdate…

| Raising pups...

… see what I did there??

Last month (how is it already November!), I really dropped the ball on any and all updates here, especially with these three, so here’s a few photos to quiet the masses. 😉 Piper 11012015 1 Pearl 11012015 1 Cosmo 11012015 2 Pearl 11012015 2Sidenote: I know the photo below is out of focus and overexposed, but Cosmo’s smile (some might think it looks slightly scary) just gets me. Such a sweetheart. Piper and Cosmo 11012015 2Last weekend, Jeff spent all weekend chasing down the right subway tile for our kitchen, and I chased these three around the yard. It’s a fair trade, right?

But next weekend, we can and WE MUST get that new backsplash up, so I can finally show off our new countertops.

P.S. We dressed up Miss Pearl for Halloween, and I think it turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself.

4 Comments

1 2 3 9

%d bloggers like this: